From the beginning of time, society has preserved the idea that women are the weaker vessels while men are the stronger ones. However, truth be told, considering the numerous struggles that women have been able to endure all these years, there is no doubt that they have earned the titles “strong and independent”. Consequently, many young women today look up to other women who have broken limits in different walks of life thereby proving the common saying that ‘what a man can do, a woman can do even better’ to be true. Nevertheless, in order to help more women climb into the strong women category, we have put together 150 strong women quotes that will not only help boost your confidence in your abilities as a woman but also empower you to take the world by storm.
150 Inspirational Strong Women Quotes For Confidence and Empowerment
1. I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass. — Maya Angelou
2. The best protection any woman can have … is courage. – Elizabeth Cady Stanton
3. Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to require the most from you.
– Caroline Myss
4. I’m tough, ambitious and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, Okay. – Madonna
5. A strong woman looks a challenge dead in the eye and gives it a wink.
6. She was a wild one; always stomping on eggshells that everyone else tip-toed on. – Kaitlin Foster
7. Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.
8. I’m lucky my wife is a strong woman. She’s one of the stronger people I’ve ever met. It’s hard for me to be away, but I know my home life is fine because my wife is there. – Darius Rucker
9. Mother Teresa didn’t walk around complaining about her thighs – she had sh*t to do.
10. I am not someone who can be controlled. I want someone who will watch me do my thing and be like, ‘that’s my girl’.
11. Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country. – Margaret Thatcher
12. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained. – Marie Curie
13. Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be. – Elizabeth Gilbert
14. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles. – Audrey Hepburn
15. Some women are lost in the fire. Some women are built from it.
16. Strong women don’t play the victim. Don’t make themselves look pitiful and don’t point fingers. They stand and they deal. – Mandy Hale
17. The girls who were unanimously considered beautiful often rested on their beauty alone. I felt I had to do things, to be intelligent and develop a personality in order to be seen as attractive. By the time I realized maybe I wasn’t plain and might even possibly be pretty, I had already trained myself to be a little more interesting and informed. – Diane Von Furstenberg
18. A strong woman is a woman determined to do something others are determined not be done. – Marge Piercy
19. If I was meant to be controlled, I would have come with a remote.
20. She’s a bada** with a good heart, soft but strong. Unapologetic and honest. She’s the type of woman you go to war beside, the type of woman you marry.
21. Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. – Anais Nin
22. Success breeds confidence. – Beryl Markham
23. One of the most courageous things you can do is identify yourself, know who you are, what you believe in and where you want to go. – Sheila Murray Bethel
24. A strong woman loves, forgives, walks away, lets go, tries again, and perseveres… not matter what life at her.
25. Some women choose to follow men, and some choose to follow their dreams. If you’re wondering which way to go, remember that you career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn’t love you anymore. – Lady Gaga
26. Each time a woman stands up for herself, she stands up for all women.
27. Strong women wear their pain like they do stilettos. No matter how much it hurts, all you see is the beauty of it.
28. I’ve often thought it unfair that women are expected to stay at home when there’s a fight to be won. If a woman has the strength to bear a child, she can swing a sword as well as any man. – Karen Hawkins
29. I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all. – Coco Chanel
30. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible and when I leave, you will finally understand, why storms are named after people.
31. If you don’t like being a doormat then get off the floor. – Al Anon
32. Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, “She doesn’t have what it takes.” They will say, “Women don’t have what it takes.” – Clare Boothe Luce
33. It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends. – J. K. Rowling
34. Be a strong woman. So your daughter will have a role model and your son will know what to look for in a woman when he’s a man.
35. Stay strong. Make them wonder how you’re still smiling.
36. At 70 years old if I could give my younger self one piece of advice, it would be to use the words ‘fuck off’ much more frequently. – Helen Mirren
37. Be strong enough to stand alone, smart enough to know when you need help, and brave enough to ask for it. – Ziad K. Abdelnour
38. I like to play a strong woman, but a strong woman can also be very fragile and vulnerable at the same time. – Carice van Houten
39. The best women are the hardest to deal with because they know their worth.
40. She is water. Strong enough to drown you, soft enough to cleanse you, and deep enough to save you.
41. Whatever you do, be different – that was the advice my mother gave me, and I can’t think of better advice for an entrepreneur. If you’re different, you will stand out. – Anita Roddick
42. The way in which we think of ourselves has everything to do with how our world see us and how we see ourselves successfully acknowledged by the world. – Arlene Rankin
43. Taking joy in living is a woman’s best cosmetic. – Rosalind Russell
44. Never apologize for being a powerful woman.
45. You must know that you can do this. You are strong. You will make it. Just hang on and keep believing in yourself, always.
46. A strong woman is one who is able to smile this morning like she wasn’t crying last night.
47. I am a strong woman with or without this other person, with or without this job, and with or without these tight pants.
48. Let’s be clear, I’m a strong woman. – Bethenny Frankel
49. The funny thing about a strong woman is that she doesn’t need you – she wants you and if you start slacking she’ll be content without you.
50. Girls should never be afraid to be smart. – Emma Watson
51. A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. – Eleanor Roosevelt
52. The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. – Ayn Rand
53. Woman must not accept; she must challenge.She must not be awed by that which has been built up around her; she must reverence that woman in her which struggles for expression. – Margaret Sanger
54. And one day she discovered that she was fierce, and strong, and full of fire, and that not even she could hold herself back because her passion burned brighter than her fears. – Mark Anthony
55. I am a strong woman. Everything that’s hit me in life I’ve dealt with on my own. I’ve cried myself to sleep. Picked myself back up and wiped my own tears. I have grown from things meant to break me. I get stronger by the day and I have God to thank for that.
56. She was powerful not because she wasn’t scared but because she went on so strongly, despite the fear. – Atticus
57. Women have to work much harder to make it in this world. It really pisses me off that women don’t get the same opportunities as men do, or money for that matter. Because lets face it, money gives men the power to run the show. It gives men the power to define our values and to define what’s sexy and what’s feminine and that’s bullshit. At the end of the day, it’s not about equal rights, it’s about how we think. We have to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves.
58. A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars. – Carly Simon
59. So many strong women start as broken girls.
60. Some women fear the fire, some simply become it…
61. I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much. – Mother Teresa
62. Most people who meet my wife quickly conclude that she is remarkable. They are right about this. She is smart, funny and thoroughly charming. Often, after hearing her speak at some function or working with her on a project, people will approach me and say something to the effect of, you know, I think the world of you, Barack, but your wife, wow! – Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
63. You can have unbelievable intelligence, you can have connections, you can have opportunities fall out of the sky. But in the end, hard work is the true, enduring characteristic of successful people. – Marsha Evans
64. I am proud of the woman I am today, because I went through one hell of a time becoming her.
65. If my strength intimidates you, I hope you realize that’s a weakness of yours.
66. Strong women are often misperceived as cold and mean simply because they refuse to be disrespected, mistreated or taken for granted.
67. Women are leaders everywhere you look—from the CEO who runs a Fortune 500 company to the housewife who raises her children and heads her household. Our country was built by strong women, and we will continue to break down walls and defy stereotypes. – Nancy Pelosi
68. When you are a strong woman, you will attract trouble. When a man feels threatened, there is always trouble. – Barbara Taylor Bradford
69. I am a woman with thoughts and questions and sh*t to say. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story – I will. – Amy Schumer
70. Sometimes an angel, sometimes a hell raiser, always a strong woman.
71. I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life. – Eleanor Roosevelt
72. People think at the end of the day that a man is the only answer [to fulfillment]. Actually a job is better for me. – Princess Diana
73. A woman with a voice is by definition a strong woman. But the search to find that voice can be remarkably difficult. – Melinda Gates
74. Be that strong girl that everyone knew would make it through the worst. Be that fearless girl, the one who would dare to do anything. Be that independent girl, who doesn’t need a man. Be that girl who never backed down.
75. You can tell who the strong women are. They are the ones you see building one another up instead of tearing each other down.
76. Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness. – Oprah
77. We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored. – Sheryl Sandberg
78. A strong woman accepts both compliments & criticism graciously, knowing that it takes both sun & rain for a flower to grow.
79. She needed a hero. So that’s what she became.
80. And to all of the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams. – Hillary Clinton
81. The day will come when men will recognize woman as his peer, not only at the fireside but in councils of the nation. Then, and not until then, will there be the perfect comradeship, the ideal union between the sexes that shall result in the highest development of the race. – Susan B. Anthony
82. If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough. – Oprah Winfrey
83. A man’s got to do what a man’s got to do. A woman must do what he can’t. – Rhonda Hansome
84. Life has knocked me down a few times, it showed me things I never wanted to see. I experienced sadness and failures. But one thing for sure, I always get up.
85. Sometimes it takes balls to be a woman.
86. The strongest actions for a woman is to love herself, be herself and shine amongst those who never believed she could.
87. Figure out who you are separate from your family and the man or woman you’re in a relationship with. Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. I think that’s the most important thing in life. Find a sense of self. With that, you can do anything else. – Angelina Jolie
88. A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey where she will become strong.
89. She’s a strong cup of black coffee in a world that is drunk on the cheap wine of shallow love.
90. As for my girls, I’ll raise them to think they breathe fire. -Jessica Kirkland
91. We ask justice, we ask equality, we ask that all the civil and political rights that belong to citizens of the United States, be guaranteed to us and our daughters forever. – Susan B. Anthony
92. Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult. – Charlotte Whitton
93. You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through. – Rosalynn Carter
94. A strong woman will automatically stop trying if she feels unwanted. She won’t fix it or beg, she’ll just walk away.
95. She’s badass with a good heart, soft but strong. Unapologetic and honest. She’s the type of women you go to war beside, the type of woman you marry.
96. A strong woman builds her own world. She is one who is wise enough to know that it will attract the man she will gladly share it with.
97. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold. – Helen Keller
98. A strong man can handle a strong woman. A weak man will say she has attitude.
99. A wise woman once said, ‘f**k this sh*t’ and she lived happily ever after.
100. One of the most beautiful sounds that I have ever heard is the sound of a beautiful, strong woman’s voice once she has discovered her true worth. She sounds empowered…She sounds confident…but most of all…she sounds free.
101. I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you. – Oprah Winfrey
102. The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. – Alice Walker
103. One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman. – Simone de Beauvoir
104. I am not a difficult woman at all. I am simply a strong woman and know my worth.
105. Mirror, mirror on the wall, I’ll always get up after I fall. And whether I run, walk or have to crawl, I’ll set my goals and achieve them all.
106. I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind learning. – Amy Poehler
107. I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear. – Rosa Parks
108. She has been through hell. So believe me when I say, fear her when she looks into the fire and smiles.
109. When she laughed she was beautiful, when she cried she was beautiful, but, when she was determined she was sexy as hell. – Matt Baker
110. Dear woman, Sometimes you’ll just be too much woman. Too smart, Too beautiful, Too strong, Too much of something that makes a man feel like less of a man, which will start making you feel like you have to be less of a woman. The biggest mistake that you can make is removing jewels from your own crown to make it easier for a man to carry. When this happens, I need you to understand, You do not need a smaller crown, You need a man with bigger hands.
111. A strong woman understands that gifts such as logic, decisiveness, and strength are just as feminine as intuition and emotional connection. She values and uses all of her gifts. – Nancy Rathburn
112. You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it. – Maya Angelou
113. We need women who are so strong they can be gentle, so educated they can be humble, so fierce they can be compassionate, so passionate they can be rational, and so disciplined they can be free. – Kavita Ramdas
114. Be a first-rate version of yourself, not a second-rate version of someone else. – Judy Garland
115. I am a woman with thoughts and questions and shit to say. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story – I will. – Amy Schumer
116. Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you. – Hillary Clinton
117. If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman. – Margaret Thatcher
118. If you live for people’s acceptance, you’ll die from their rejections. – Lecrae
119. Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
120. She was fierce. She was simple. She was crazy and always had something to say. She had flaws, but when she was down she got right back up. She was a beast in her own way but one word described her best… Strong!
121. A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform. – Diane Mariechild
122. Women are never stronger than when they arm themselves with their weaknesses. – Madame Marie du Deffand
123. I am a strong woman. I don’t sit around feeling sorry for myself, nor let people mistreat me. I don’t respond to people who dictate to me or try to bring me down. If I fall I will rise up even stronger because I am survivor and not a victim. I am in control of my life and there is nothing I can’t achieve.
124. Beneath every strong, independent woman lies a broken little girl who had to learn how to get back up and to never depend on anyone.
125. I am a strong woman because a strong woman raised me.
126. Everyone has inside of her a piece of good news. The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be, how much you can love, what you can accomplish, and what your potential is. – Anne Frank
127. You don’t have to play masculine to be a strong woman. – Mary Elizabeth Winstead
128. A weak man can’t love a strong woman. He won’t know what to do with her.
129. Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.
130. .. Life will test you but remember this, when you walk up a mountain your legs get stronger.
131. I want to do is because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be but a challenge to others. – Amelia Earhart
132. You move totally away from reality when you believe that there is a legitimate reason to suffer. – Byron Katie
133. A strong woman stands up for herself. A stronger woman stands up for everybody else.
134. Doubt is a killer. You just have to know who you are and what you stand for. – Jennifer Lopez
135. Strong women aren’t simply born. We are forged through the challenges of life. With each challenge we grow mentally and emotionally. We move forward with our head held high and a strength that can not be denied. A woman who’s been through the storm and survived. We are warriors.
136. “We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls: ‘You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful. Otherwise, you will threaten the man.’ Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage. I am expected to make my life choices, always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now, marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support, but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage and we don’t teach boys the same? – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
137. Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained. – Marie Curie
138. The woman who doesn’t require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet. – Mohadesa Najumi
139. Woman is the dominant sex. Men have to do all sorts of stuff to prove they are worthy of a woman’s attention. – Camille Pagla
140. And the salt in my wounds isn’t burning anymore than it used to. It’s not that I don’t feel the pain, it’s just I’m not afraid of hurting anymore.
141. Just watch, all of you men. I’ll show you what a woman can do…I’ll go across the country, I’ll race to the Moon… I’ll never look back. – Edna Gardner Whyte
142. Courage is like a muscle. We strengthen it by use. – Ruth Gordon
143. A strong woman is one who feels deeply and loves fiercely. Her tears flow as abundantly as her laughter. A strong woman is both soft and powerful, she is both practical and spiritual. A strong woman in her essence is a gift to the world. – Native American saying
144. The world needs strong women. Women who will lift and build others, who will love and be loved. Women who live bravely, both tender and fierce. Women of indomitable will. – Amy Tenny
145. Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says “Oh crap, she’s up!
146. Strong women need not declare they can carry all the burdens in life. They just quietly do it and survive with a smile.
147. The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. – Albert Einstein
148. At 70 years old, if I could give my younger self one piece of advice, It would be to use the phrase ‘f— off’ much more frequently. – Helen Mirren
149. I am f***ing gold, but you prefer silver, and that’s OK.
150. Nothing is more impressive than a person who is secure in the unique way God made her.