Blake Bortles is a famous American quarterback who plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League. From high school to professional football, he has become renowned in sports. He was named the MVP of the 2012 Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl as well as the 2014 Fiesta Bowl Offensive MVP.
Blake Bortles Bio
Blake was born on 28 April 1992 into a family of athletes in Altamonte Springs, Florida, United States. His father, Rob Bortles was a wrestler and football player during his high school days and his mother was a softball player in high school. While he plays football, his brother, Colby keeps it up on the baseball pitch. He was taken in the 22nd round of the MLB draft by the Detroit Tigers.
The football star attended high school at Oviedo High School, Oviedo, Florida. While in school, he was a standout in both the football and baseball teams. By the time he left high school, Blake was listed as the No. 44 pro-style quarterback in his class and labeled a three-star recruit by Rivals.com (a network of websites that focus mainly on college football and basketball recruiting in the United States). Blake completed his career in high school with a Seminole County record of 5,576 career passing yards and 53 touchdowns.
The time came to go to college and several college football teams wanted to have him on their team. He received offers from Colorado State, Purdue, Tulane, Western Kentucky, and UFC. Blake, however, did have to make a choice and he sure did. He accepted UFC which was not only located near his home but was also the first college to offer him a scholarship.
In college, he not only replicated his success but went ahead to trump whatever he did for his high school team. As a true freshman, he was redshirted in 2010 and in 2011, he played in 10 games and completed 75 of 110 passes for 958 yards with six touchdowns and three interceptions. In 2012, he was the starter quarterback and started all the 14 games for the season. Blake completed 22 of 32 passes for 271 yards with three touchdowns and 79 rushing yards against the Ball State Cardinals and was named the MVP of the 2012 Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl.
The next season (2013) he led his team to their first major bowl win in the school history, the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, with an upset win over fifth-ranked Baylor, 52-42. Blake Bortles was named the Fiesta Bowl Offensive MVP of the game.
He left in his senior season and entered the 2014 NFL Draft. He was selected in the first round, 3rd overall pick by the Jacksonville Jaguars as a quarterback on May 8. Blake was the first of an eventual 14 quarterbacks to be drafted. He signed his rookie contract for 4 years on June 18, 2014, and in September of the same year, he made his regular-season debut and made his first pro career start in a game against San Diego Chargers.
In spite of victories and losses, challenges, and criticisms, Blake extended his contract with the Jaguars on February 24, 2018, when he signed a three-year contract to stay with the team through the 2020 season.
Girlfriend or Wife, Is Blake Married?
The Jacksonville Jaguar quarterback is currently single and has never been married. He was however in a relationship that did not escape the public’s eyes with a model, Lindsay Duke. Lindsay was his high school sweetheart and they were together until 2014 when they eventually broke up. The cause of their split was not apparent but it was speculated that Blake drew the curtain.
He seems not to be in a hurry to start a relationship as most of his attention is focused on his career. He would make the necessary move to get hooked when he deems the time is right.
His Salary and Net Worth
Blake is an exceptional quarterback and every team would want to have him, but Jacksonville Jaguars is still keeping him and will be having more of him for some time. The football standout has an estimated net worth of $11 million which he earned through years of professional football and endorsement of brands – the wealth is well deserved.
He signed his rookie contract worth $20.6 million guaranteed for four years with the team in June 2014. His contract with the Jaguars was extended by three years on February 24, 2018, when he signed a $54 million deal.
In 2017, Blake Bortles got Salary Cap Charge $6,571,983 as well as a cash Payout of $3,236,565. Blake’s extension contract includes $15,000,000 signing bonus, $26,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2018, his base salary is $5,000,000 with a cap hit of $10,000,000 and a dead cap value of $26,500,000.
In addition to his earnings from football, he shares endorsement obligations with athletes like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods for the famous sports brand Nike.
Quick Facts About Blake Bortles
1. His full name is Robby Blake Bortles.
2. He is 6′ 5″ (1.96) tall and weighs 232 lb (105 kg). His arm length is 32 7⁄8 inches (0.84 m) while his hand size is 9 3⁄8 inches (0.24 m).
3. Blake received heavy criticism in the 2017 season from fellow players, coaches, and analysts for his poor passing performance but he didn’t let that deter him. He bounced back and led his team to victory over the Steelers.
4. His response to the criticism was dope. He said that he couldn’t care less and added that “there are people who think LeBron James sucks, so if that happens, I’m sure there will always be people who always think I suck.” Such a strong spirit.
5. Blake had a 22–5 (.815) record for the Knights as a starter from the 2012 and 2013 seasons.
6. He bought a 2,503 square feet oceanfront home for $1.5 million in 2015.
7. In 2014, he used his signing bonus to pay his brother’s college tuition.
8. His career passer rating of 153.9 is the highest for any UCF quarterback with at least 500 pass attempts as of 2016 and he was fourth in career completions, yards, and touchdowns.
9. He has a charity organization, Blake Bortles Foundation which supports children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.