Fernando Alonso is a Spanish racing driver best known as a double World Champion in the Formula One driving championship and considered as one of the greatest drivers in the history of Formula One, he sits on the 10th position with 54 points.
Alonso is currently with the British Formula One team, McLaren-Honda, where he is working very hard to win his third title.
Read on to find more about the respected Formula One driver.
Fernando Alonso – Biography
Fernando Alonso is the son of Ana Díaz, a worker in a department store, and José Luis Alonso, an amateur kart racer and a mechanic in an Oviedo-based explosive factory. He was born on July 29, 1981, in Oviedo, Asturias in northern Spain.
The professional racing driver holds a Spanish Nationality and belongs to the white ethnicity. He has an older sister called Lorena Alonso Diaz. She is three years older than Fernando and a doctor by profession. He attended the Holy Guardian Angel Primary School Oviedo, from where he proceeded to Institute Leopoldo Alas Clarín of San Lazaro to further his education. However, he dropped out of school to focus on his motor racing career.
Alonso has his father to thank for his flourishing racing career. According to reports, his father, as an amateur kart racer, had wanted to pass on his passion for Kart racing to his children. This led him to build a kart for his daughter, Lorena, who was eight years old at the time. But Lorena didn’t show interest in the sport. Luckily for him, Fernando developed an interest in kart racing at age 3 and that was how his love for racing began.
Having mastered the different ropes of kart racing in his younger age, Fernando won his first junior Spanish Karting Championship at age 12 and went on to retain it for the next three years.
Alonso was introduced to car racing by Adrian Campos in October 1998. He was subsequently signed up to compete in the Spanish Euro Open Movistar of Nissan series in 1999, following a brilliant performance. He later won the championship by a single point and went on to participate in Formula 3000 series in the year 2000 for ‘Astromega’, becoming the youngest driver to contest in the competition. He would win the final race at Belgium to take the fourth position in the championship.
His career at Minardi began in 2001 at the Australian Grand Prix, where he made history as the third-youngest driver to start a Formula One race. The following year, he became a test driver for Renault in 2002. On August 24, 2003, Alonso emerged the winner of a Formula One race at ‘Hungarian Grand Prix, making him the youngest driver to achieve the feat, although the record was broken in 2008 by Sebastian Vettel.
He also emerged the winner at the San Marino Grand Prix in 2005, the same year he won his first Formula One driver’s championship, bringing an end to Michael Schumacher’s five years of dominance.
Alonso became the youngest double champion titleholder in 2006 when he won his second ‘Formula One Driver’s Championship’ after scaling through a stiff challenge from Michael Schumacher.
His stint at Ferrari began in 2010 and ended in 2014, leading to his return to McLaren in 2015. He currently races for the McLaren-Renault F1 team.
Is Fernando Alonso Married? – Wife
The respected racing driver is a divorcee. He was once married to Spanish singer Raquel del Rosario. Like Alonso, Raquel is also a celebrity in her own field. She is the lead singer of the Spanish pop-rock band, El Sueño de Morfeo. They got married on November 17, 2006. The couple previously lived in Oxford, from where they relocated to Mont-sur-Rolle, in Switzerland. From Mont-sur-Rolle, Fernando and Raquel moved to Lugano in 2010, in order to be close to Alonso’s employer, Ferrari.
The racing driver and his pop star wife announced their intention to split up on December 20, 2011, after five years of staying together as husband and wife. Their union did not produce any child. Following their divorce, Raquel got married to Pedro Castro, a filmmaker and Galician photographer whom she met while directing her band’s video – Si no estás. Castro and Raquel got married in 2013 and welcomed their first child together in 2014.
Fernando Alonso has been in several relationships in the past. His first known girlfriend is Russian model Dasha Kapustina. The duo began a relationship in July 2012, a year after he called it quit with De Rosario. However, Alonso’s relationship with the Vladivostok-born star only lasted for one year. They went their separate ways in 2014 for reasons best known to them.
The racing driver also had a short-lived romantic relationship with renowned Spanish journalist, Lara Álvarez. The lovebirds began dating in early 2015 and separated in 2016. Lara confirmed their separation herself when she made a public appearance sometime in March 2016, without her sparkling engagement ring.
Currently, Fernando is an item with Linda Morselli, an Italian fashion model and ex-girlfriend of nine-time world champion road racer, Valentino Rossi.
Linda is the winner of Miss Elegance at the Miss Italy beauty pageant in 2006. Her relationship with Alonso began in 2017 and the two appear to be madly in love with each other.
Salary – How Much Does He Earn?
Fernando Alonso earns a whopping $40 million annually and this makes him one of the highest-paid racing drivers of our time. His fortune is valued at $220 million. It is widely believed that Alonso built his eye-popping net worth from his contracts with mega racing companies, endorsements, salary, and multiple racing winnings.
Quick Facts about the Racing Driver
1. Fernando Alonso is a multi-linguist. He speaks French, English, Italian, and Spanish.
2. The racing driver lives in Dubai.
3. He has a Samurai tattoo on his back and neck, which he debuted in 2012. Speaking to reporters at the time, he disclosed that the tattoo is a reminder of who he is, where he comes from and the strength he possesses.
4. Besides racing, Fernando also loves football. His favorite teams are the Madrid-based professional football club Real Madrid and the Oviedo-based Spanish club Real Oviedo.
5. When he won his first Championship victory in 2005, Alonso was made an ambassador of the University of Oxford to promote the study of Motorsport of Business for Social Science.
6. His sun sign is Asturias.
7. Apart from racing, Alonso has a passion for cycling. He plans to run a cycling team someday.
8. Alonso is also called El Nano, which is a typical pseudonym for the name “Fernando” in Asturias.
9. The racing driver is also a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF.
10. Fernando is the only Spanish driver to have won a Formula One as of March 2018.
11. In 2005, he received the ‘Prince of Asturias Award for Sports from the Princess of Asturias Foundation for his achievements in the field of public affairs, science, and humanity.
12. His car number is 12.
13. Over the course of his career, Alonso has made 296 entries with 294 stars.
14. He has 32 wins, 1,871 Career points, 22 pole positions, and 23 fastest laps under his name.
15. Alonso was reportedly paid US$39,000,000 by McLaren in 2007. He made his debut for the team in their new McLaren car in the streets of Valencia on 15 January 2007.