Sofi Tucker is a New York-based musical duo famed for excelling in Electronic dance music (EDM) and House music, a type of electronic dance music created by club DJs. The band became popular after their song titled Best Friend became a hit after it was featured by Apple in a commercial they recorded for the unveiling of the iPhone X. Another major project that brought the pair to the limelight was their song, Drinkee, which made it to the 2017 Grammy nomination list. Sofi Tucker was launched in 2014 and since then, the pair has continued to record great level of success for their songs and performances.
Sofi Tucker’s Bio
As mentioned earlier, Sofi Tucker broke out into the music industry in the year 2014. The group may be relatively new in the showbiz but their influence on the younger generation, especially on dance music starlets, is easily noticed. The phenomenal duo has recorded many singles as lead artists between 2016 and 2018, some of which include Drinkee (2016), Hey Lion (2016), Awoo (2016), Matadora (2016), Déjà Vu Affair (2016), Johny (2017), Greed (2016), Fuck They (2016), Best Friend (2017, featuring Nervo, The Knocks and Alisa Ueno), Energia (2017), Baby I’m a Queen (2018), Batshit, That’s It (I’m Crazy) (2018). In addition to this, Tucker boasts a self-published Extended play titled: Soft Animals, which was released on the 8th of July 2016.
The club music powerhouses have also banded together with prominent DJs in the industry, including DJ Benny Benassi, who worked with them in 2018 in the production of the Everybody Needs A Kiss. The band is associated with the music label HeavyRoc as well as Patrick Moxey’s New York-based music entity, Ultra Music. In a nutshell, the group’s success can be attributed to several prominent commercial plays, viral tracks, and a Grammy nomination.
Who are The Members?
The Sofi Tucker musical band is made up of just two super talented people; Sophie Hawley-Weld and Tucker Halpern. Sophie is a German singer born on May 17, 1992, and raised in Atlanta but later went to New York to perform music. Shortly after she came into New York, Hawley-Weld ended up in a wheelchair for four months and was moved back home, where she met the other pair of the band. Hawley-Weld is a graduate of Portuguese and development studies from Brown University. Before she got connected to Tucker, she played bossa nova in a jazz trio.
Tucker Halpern began his journey to stardom as a basketball player. He spent 12 years crisscrossing the country with an amateur basketball team after participating at Ivy League Brown University. His passion for music was sparked by a computer music program, how-to-videos on music which he found on YouTube and then his encounter with college classmate Sophie Hawley-Weld.
Though Tucker played drums as a child, he wouldn’t have given music a chance if not for an autoimmune disease that ended his basketball career after he spent eight terrifying months bedridden. He studied the history of art and architecture at Brown University and was living in his family home in Brookline, Mass before getting involved with music. Despite his failed basket career, Halpern still keeps an eye on his beloved Golden State Warriors and Boston Celtics basketball teams.
Sophie and Tucker met in college in the United States when the former was performing acoustic bossa nova jazz at an event the latter was DJing at. And after meeting one-on-one, the two became friends and decided to form a band together. They had their career breakthrough after they were discovered by Apple staff, David Taylor, who was impressed with their first song Drinkee when it was on Soundcloud and later bought it for a 2015 Apple Watch advert.
All You Need To Know About The Musical Duo
1. Before fame, Sophie was into soccer. Her role model is Charmaine Hooper, a female soccer player she eventually got to meet and had a training session with.
2. According to Sophie, she was disappointed with the band’s first performance but their second gig was so amazing that she fell in love again with music.
3. The lyrics of the band’s single Energia were written by Hawley-lewd’s friend, Brazilian poet Chacal. Chacal also wrote the lyrics of the group’s hit song, Drinkee.
4. Sofi Tucker’s debut single, Drinkee was nominated for Best Dance Song at the 2017 Grammys but eventually lost out in the end to American DJ and production duo, Chainsmokers, which consists of and Alex Pall.
5. The band has collaborated with Apple twice – many thanks to their hit songs Best Friend (featured in the unveiling of the iPhone X) and Drinkee (featured in a 2015 Apple Watch advert).
6. The duo’s song Johny was adapted from a poem by Paulo Leminski, a Brazilian poet. It is also featured in EA Sports’ FIFA 17.
7. You can reach out or get to know more about the pair via www.sofitukker.com.