Following the successes that have been enjoyed by European DJs like Calvin Harris, David Guetta, and DJ Tiesto in the American music industry, a number of disc jockeys from the continent have tried to break into the market. One of such persons who looks to have done so successfully is DJ Snake, who is best known for producing hit songs like “Bird Machine”, “Turn Down For What”, and “Taki Taki” among many others. Read on to find out more about the career of the multi-award-winning music producer.
Who is DJ Snake? (Bio, Age)
DJ Snake was born William Sami Étienne Grigahcine on the 13th of June, 1986, in Paris, France. Details about his early life and educational background are not available, however, it is known that he grew up in the Paris banlieue of Ermont.
As a young boy, Snake was into art, specifically graffiti. He was known to have produced lots of it in the French capital city, which put him on the radar of the police. By the time he turned 14, he switched art forms, leaving graffiti art for music which was not illegal. He started off by working as a DJ in various Paris clubs before later going into production at the age of 19 at the encouragement of his manager.
DJ Snake remained relatively unknown for a few years until his production skills caught the attention of the multi-talented award-winning singer Lady Gaga. He produced the American’s 2011 album Born This Way which received a Grammy Award nomination for Album of the Year. To further broaden his horizon, the brilliant music producer put his skills to the test as he remixed some songs by some popular artists. Some of the songs that he remixed that were well received by the public include Major Lazer’s “Bubble Butt”, Kanye West‘s “New Slaves”, Duck Sauce’s “It’s You”, AlunaGeorge’s “You Know You Like It”, and Junior Senior’s “Move Your Feet”.
Two years after having produced a Grammy Award-nominated album with Gaga, the two stepped back into the studio in 2013 and he helped co-produce three songs; “Applause”, “Sexxx Dreams”, and “Do What U Want” on her ARTPOP album. That same year, he collaborated with Atlanta-based hip-hop artist Lil Jon on the multi-platinum hit song “Turn Down For What”. The following year, DJ Snake again applied his skills to help produce the hit “Lean On” with MØ and Diplo’s Major Lazer. Like “Turn Down For What”, “Lean On” sold millions of copies and appeared on various Billboard charts. This helped him earn an invitation to the 2015 Coachella Music Festival where he performed. The rest, as they say, became history.
DJ Snake Net Worth
According to multiple celebrity wealth calculating sources, DJ Snake, who has been nominated for two Grammy Awards, and has managed to win an MTV Video Music Award and a Billboard Music Award, has a net worth of $8 million. While he has so far been able to do very well for himself. The French national still has a long way to go to match the financial accomplishments of other famous DJs like Steve Aoki, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, and Avicii among others.
The Brown eye colored DJ stands at an impressive height of 6 feet 1 inches. He also reportedly weighs about 73 kg (161 pounds). The DJ stands taller than several other DJs in the industry like Tiesto who stands tall at 5 feet 11 inches and Skrillex who records a height of 5 foot 3 inches, among others.
Other Facts About Him
1. The identity of his parents is not known, however, it is well known that he is the son of Algerian immigrant parents to France.
2. DJ Snake got his name on the streets of Paris as a young boy. It is said that as a young boy, he was able to always evade the police who were looking to arrest him due to his graffiti artwork. His ability to consistently evade arrest earned him the moniker of the slippery reptile. The music producer has since talked about his distaste for the name but still goes by it.
3. At the 2015 Coachella Music Festival, DJ Snake performed “Lean On” and his remix of AlunaGeorge’s “You Know You Like It”, two songs that were among the top 10 Shazamed songs at the music festival.
4. Snake, along with three other DJs; Tchami, Mercer, Malaa, is a part of a collective of French DJs called Pardon My French. The group has successfully embarked on numerous tours and Snake himself has been able to capitalize on the popularity by collaborating with the denim brand, Levi’s to create a limited edition trucker jacket.
5. In January 2016, the business magazine Forbes named him in their “30 Under 30 In Music” list.