Only those who do not read the news or follow social media trends can say they are not familiar with Malia Obama. When your father and mother are two of the most popular people in the world, you naturally feed off that popularity. Malia Obama is the eldest of Barack and Michelle Obama‘s two children.
With the kind of influence that comes with being the daughter of a former president of America, there is no doubt she’s going to do something amazing with that influence someday. Let’s get to know her some more.
Who Is Malia Obama?
While we are all mostly familiar with her basics as the daughter of the most popular US president in Modern history, Malia Ann Obama was born in Boston, Massachusetts on the 4th of July, 1998, and shares a birthday with the American Independence Day.
On her father’s inauguration on the 20th of January, 2009, Malia Obama and her sister, Sasha became the first African American first children in the history of the United States. Loved and adored by millions, the world has watched her grow from a child to an adult. In 2014, Time Magazine named her one of 100 most influential people in the world.
Those who wonder what Malia means would be pleased to know it means Queen. Her name was inspired by her father who wanted her name to have an Arabic/African root.
When the family lived in Chicago, Malia Obama attended the University of Chicago Laboratory School. She also studied drama and dance as a child but she was really interested in sports from an early age, playing soccer, tennis, and running track. Her interest in soccer grew but her mother, Michelle, steered her towards volleyball because of her height.
When her father became president and the family moved to Washington D.C, Malia joined Sidwell Friends School, a private school in Washington that has been attended by the children of numerous influential men and women in US political history including the Clintons, Nixons, Roosevelts, and Bidens. In her new school, she was student council treasurer before becoming vice-president in her junior year and later the senior class president. She got her training and exposure to the celebrity life further established by spending a portion of her summers in 2014/2015 working in television studios in New York and Los Angeles.
As an athlete, she played outside hitter for the volleyball team, point guard for the basketball team, and was a member of the tennis team as well.
After High School, Malia Obama traveled a bit and interned at the U.S Embassy in Spain. In the fall of 2017, the former first daughter began attending Harvard University.
Sister – Sasha Obama
Malia has a close relationship with her sister, Sasha, who is only three years younger than she is. Sasha, who was born on the 10th of June, 2001, has grown up in the spotlight, much like her sister. The two sisters are fond of doing everything together. After relocating from Chicago to Washington Dc, they both attended Sidwell Friends School together.
They were even both named two of the 30 most influential teens in 2014 and 2015 by Time Magazine.
Who Is Her Boyfriend?
Malia Obama is currently dating fellow Harvard student, Rory Farquharson, a British rugby player. Born into a wealthy family, Rory also has ties to the British Royal Family. The couple has been going strong despite the heavy media attention.
Being Barack Obama’s daughter comes with its own perks, and for Malia, it means access to a lot of great jobs. Her current net worth is estimated to be around $250k. In 2018, she topped the People with Money’s top 10 highest-paid heirs.
Other Facts About Malia Obama
1. Malia Obama wants to be a photographer and a filmmaker.
2. She is loved by the media and it’s not hard to see why. In 2014, she was named one of People’s magazine’s 50 most beautiful people in the world. According to Google, Malia Obama is the second most googled celebutante in the world.
3. Malia Obama is not all glamour though, she also regularly commits herself to charitable works. She set up an eBay account where she auctions old clothing to raise money for the Children’s National Medical Center. Not limited to that, she lends her voice and image to various charity projects.
4. In 2017, she interned for Harvey Weinstein at The Weinstein Company film studio in New York.
5. While in high school, she won two volleyball championships, three basketball titles, multiple championships in tennis and became the third female to win Gatorade Player of the Year in two different sports in Washington D.C history. She ranks second all-time in state history for kills in volleyball, the all-time state leader in assists for basketball, and finished her tennis career with a 67-5 record. Pretty impressive, huh?