Making it to the list of Hollywood A-list actresses is really a very tough job. In fact, if you don’t have value like top-notch actresses such as Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, Natalie Portman, Meryl Streep, and their likes, it will be extremely difficult to shortlist you. But regardless of this fact, Lela Rochon was able to successfully carve out a niche for herself ever since she stormed the movie industry in 1984.
Besides her rare acting talent, she is very creative in front of the camera and this explains why she is hotly sought after by filmmakers and producers.
In this article, we’ll bring you everything you need to know about Lela Rochon, including the lesser-known facts you can’t find elsewhere.
Brief Bio and Age
Lela Rochon was born on April 17, 1964, to a nurse practitioner mother called Zelma Staples and a business executive father known as Samuel Staples, in Los Angeles, California. She is of American nationality and black ethnicity.
Rochon studied at Cerritos High School in Cerritos, California, from where she proceeded to California State University, Dominguez Hills to further her education. Upon the completion of her studies, she was awarded a BA in Broadcast Journalism, with minors in Sociology and Theatre.
Detailed information about her early life, siblings, and relations, are not available for public consumption at the moment.
Lela Rochon’s acting career began in 1984 with the movie, Breakin. Following her high-octane performance, she scored another acting gig to feature in Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo. She went on to appear in a couple of movies such as Waiting to Exhale as Robin Stokes, Stewardess School, The Wild Pair, Into the Homeland, Boomerang, (a 1992 romantic comedy film directed by Reginald Hudlin), and The Wayan Bros (a 1995 American hit sitcom).
The A-lister’s most recent project is Reversion, where she played the mother of Aja Naomi King. Sometime in 2009, she had a cameo in her husband’s crime drama, Brooklyn’s Finest.
Lela Rochon’s Net Worth
Over the course of Lela’s robust career, she has successfully established herself as one of Hollywood’s most valued and relevant actresses and her sizeable net worth attests to this fact.
A look at Rochon’s career shows she basically makes her money from her stints in films and television shows. According to authority sites, her fortune is valued at $10 million. Records have it that the actress pocketed an eye-popping $525,000 for her role in the 2014 drama movie Supremacy. This film tells the story of how a just paroled white supremacist, together with his ruthless girlfriend, murdered a police officer and took an African-American family hostage.
Height & Body Stats
Lela Rochon is one Hollywood actress with plenty of money and a curvaceous body as well. She is blessed with a decent height and weight as well as an admirable set of body measurements.
Here are details of her body measurements and appearance:
Height: 5 ft 9 in / 175 cm
Weight: 141 lb / 64 kg
Body measurements: 34-24-35 inches
Shoe Size: 9 US
Hair Color: Dark brown
Eye Color: Dark brown
Quick Facts About the Actress
1. Rochon’s parents – Zelma and Samuel Staples – have Haitian ancestry.
2. In 2016, the actress was appointed to deliver the commencement speech at the California State University, Dominguez.
3. In 1996, she was nominated at NAACP Image Award and MTV Movie Award for her brilliant performance in the 1995 American romance film, Waiting to Exhale. In the same year, she was nominated for the third time at the CableACE Award for Outstanding Actress in Mr. and Mrs. Loving.
4. The Chamber actress has tied the knot twice. Her first marriage, which took place between her and American dancer, actor, and choreographer Shabba Doo lasted from 1982 to 1987. She later got married to popular American producer and film director Antoine Fuqua in 1999.
5. Rochon is a mother of two and a stepmother to her husband’s child from his previous relationship. The union between her and Antoine produced a daughter, Asia Faqua, on July 28, 2002, and a son, Brando Fuqua, in May 2004. He is famed for his 2001 Academy Award-winning movie Training Day.
6. Her years in Hollywood have seen her share screen time with top stars like Eddy Murphy and several other screen lords and queens.
7. Rochon’s role on Waiting To Exhale is considered her biggest project in the movie industry.
8. Lela’s sexual orientation is straight.