Jenny Agutter is a legendary British actress known for her brilliant and critically acclaimed performances in East of Sudan, The Railway Children, Walkabout, The Snow Goose, and Star!. After achieving phenomenal success in British television and film, she relocated to America to pursue a career in Hollywood. She immediately became sought after and didn’t have a hard time scoring major roles in blockbuster films including Logan’s Run, An American Werewolf in London, Child’s Play 2, and Amy.
She continued featuring in British films like The Riddle of the Sands, The Eagle Has Landed, and Equip which earned her a BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role. Jenny was nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role for her character in The Survivor. Having conquered the film industry, she set out to take on television in 2000. She starred in the television adaptation of The Railway Children and the primetime television hit show, Call the Midwife. The renowned actress has also featured in The Avengers, going on to reprise her role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Away from her professional career, Jenny is heavily involved in charity work. She actively supports a number of charitable causes including creating awareness and providing treatments for women with cystic fibrosis. Her charity work led to her being appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire in the 2012 Birthday Honours.
Who Is Jenny Agutter?
The award-winning actress was born on December 20, 1952, in Taunton, Somerset in England to Derek and Agutter, an entertainment organizer and British Army officer, and Catherine Lynam. She never actually considered acting until she was discovered at age 11 by one of Walt Disney’s casting agents while she was away at boarding school at Elmhurst Ballet School. The agent mentioned her to the producers of the movie East of Sudan and her career took off.
She began her early television career on The Newcomers, but she soon graduated into adult roles. She scored a supporting role in The Snow Goose and earned an Emmy Award for her portrayal of the character Fritha even though she was still a teenager at the time. Jenny relocated to Los Angeles to launch the Hollywood phase of her career when she was 21. She returned back to England in 1990 to focus on her family life and explore opportunities in British television.
Jenny Agutter went on to feature in Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, The Buccaneers, Heartbeat, Spooks, The Alan Clark Diaries, and Red Dwarf. She has also enjoyed a successful career in theatre, appearing in major productions including Hedda Gabler, Breaking the Code, and Love’s Labour’s Lost. The accomplished actress has extended her career to radio and audio productions as well, guest-starring in The Bride of Peladon and Ed Reason’s Week.
The talented actress met the famous Swedish hotelier, Johan Tham at an arts festival in Somerset and they hit it off. The pair began dating and tied the knot on August 4, 1990. They welcomed their first child Jonathan shortly after on December 25, 1990. Jenny currently lives in London with her family, although she constantly shuttles back and forth to the United States for work and other causes.
Quick Facts About The British Actress
1. The iconic actress frequently sleeps on the streets to raise money and support for a cause that’s very dear to her called Action for Children. The goal of the organization is to keep homeless teens and youths away from the streets before it becomes their only viable option.
2. Jenny spent a lot of her childhood years living in different countries such as Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Cyprus.
3. Although she really loves her career and wouldn’t give it up for the world, Jenny often finds the art of filmmaking to be very boring. All those times spent waiting for the stage to be set, lighting to be verified, and a hundred other things to happen before the director starts rolling can grate on the mind.
4. The actress last appeared in a movie in 2015 and has since concentrated more on television work, but she could just be taking a hiatus until someone sends a film script that she instantly connects to.
5. Jenny Agutter used to be in a relationship with Patrick Garland, but things went awry and they had to call it off.