Nikki Reed is a versatile entertainer. She is an actress, screenwriter, singer-songwriter, and music/film director. In recent years, she has expanded her repertoire to include entrepreneurs. She came into the limelight in 2003 after the release of the indie-drama film Thirteen, in which she played the lead role and also co-wrote the screenplay. The role earned her the Independent Spirit Award for the best premiere.
Her other famous role is that of Rosalie Hale in Twilight Saga (2008-2012). We guide you through the facts you always wanted to know about her life and career.
Nikki Reed’s Biography
Nikki was born Nicole Houston Reed on May 17, 1988, in West Los Angeles, California, as the daughter of Seth Reed and Cheryl Houston. Her mother worked as a beautician while her father worked as a production designer.
Reed’s parents divorced when she was just two years old, after which she was raised by her mother, Cheryl, in Culver City, California. She has two brothers, an older brother named Nathan August Reed and a younger half-brother named Joey Reed, who her father had with another woman.
Reed grew up in complicated situations due to her parents’ divorce. At the age of 14, the tragedies that occurred in their home forced them to move out and live alone in Los Angeles. When their difficulties reached their peak, Reed began sharing them with Catherine Hardwicke, her mother’s friend who would later have a brief relationship with her father.
While spending time with Catherine Hardwicke, Nikki Reed expressed her interest in becoming an actress, and together they worked on the teen drama “Thirteen”. The film was loosely based on Reed’s own personal experiences between the ages of 12 and 13. The two completed the script for the film within 6 days, and with hand cameras and independently raised funds they began shooting the film.
Due to difficulties in finding young actresses for the roles in the film, Nikki was asked to play one of the roles as Evie Zamora, one of the most popular girls in school who would come to introduce the naive Tracy Freeland, played by Evan Rachel Wood, to her world of substance abuse and sex. The film was a huge success with the critics and earned the actresses Oscar and Golden Globe nominations.
While Nikki won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Debut Performance, Catherine Hardwicke won a handful of awards, including the Sundance Film Festival Dramatic Directing Award. It was a great breakthrough for both of them, as they would continue to work together on future projects.
Nikki Reed attended Alexander Hamilton High School in Los Angeles, which she dropped out of. After the success of Thirteen, however, she returned to the school but dropped out again after her parents confronted her with the film and harassed her. Reed would come to earn her high school diploma by homeschooling.
Thanks to Thirteen, she became a kind of typecast, portraying sexy bad girls. But over the years, her versatility became apparent to everyone. Her next big breakthrough, the role of Rosalie Hale in Twilight, was to be another collaboration with Catherine Hardwicke, who directed the film. Although Hardwicke received the Young Hollywood Award for her directing, she did not want to direct the following sequels, but Reed resumed her role in all sequels.
Reed’s other film credits would include the Last Day of Summer, where she is the executive producer, Catch .44, Empire State, About Scout, and more. She played the recurring role of Betsy Ross in the supernatural drama Sleepy Hollow by Fox. Nikki took an unofficial break from acting in 2016 and devoted herself to other personal pursuits, including growing diamonds for her bridal collection.
Nikki Reed has been very successful in her acting career. Both her efforts on and off-screen have contributed to her net worth of an estimated $15 million.
Other Interesting Facts
– Nikki Reed is the average height for a woman, she is 1.5 meters 4 inches tall.
– She has a mixed ethnic background: Ashkenazi Jews, Germans, British Isles, and Italians.
– She is married to The Vampire Diaries, Alain Ian Somerhalder. They met in mid-2014 and had a stormy romance that led to their marriage in April 2015. The couple welcomed their daughter Bodhi Soleil on July 25, 2017.
– Reed was married to singer-songwriter Paul McDonald for two years, from October 2011 to October 2013. They cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for their divorce, which was finalized in early 2015.
– Nikki Reed began her musical career after meeting her ex-husband Paul McDonald, who is an American Idol graduate. They recorded songs together and performed together on music videos.
– Reed has appeared on music videos of well-known names such as Lady Gaga and The Sweeplings.
– Reed is an animal rights activist and vegetarian.
– She is the owner of the sustainable lifestyle brand Bayou With Love.