Talk about talent, height, passion for the game, and even a good physical appearance, Josh Gordon has it all; the Cleveland Browns receiver is undeniably good in the game of football despite the obvious inadequacies. He gives his fans a reason to smile every time he plays. He was even nicknamed “Flash” because of his speed in the field of play. Read on to learn some salient facts about the American football star.
Josh Gordon Age and Early Life
Joshua Caleb Gordon was born on the 13th of April 1991 in Houston, Texas to Elaine and Herald Gordon. He attended Lamar High School and has always been strong as a little boy and also actively involved in sports. He competed in high school sports such as running, football and basketball. In junior high football, Josh caught 20 passes for 363 yards and four touchdowns. In his senior year, he made an average of 21.2 and was named first-team All-District 20-5A. He excelled in athletics tremendously while in high school.
Moving onto college, Josh Gordon has rated a 3-star wide receiver and he had a lot of college teams queueing up for his signature. Reputable American college football teams like Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas Tech all wanted him to be on their team. Among the many teams, Gordon picked Baylor University playing in the schools’ team as an athlete under scholarship.
Josh Gordon’s Career and Drug Issues
Gordon was impressive while in Baylor and worked really hard but his use of hard drugs and alcohol became a huge challenge for the young receiver. In 2010, he was found asleep after getting high on drugs. In another incident, marijuana was found by the police in his car while he was with his teammate, Willie Jefferson within the surrounding of a local restaurant. Willie who has been repeatedly suspended for substance abuse was kicked out of the team while Josh who was just a newbie at the time of the incident was suspended.
In the second half of 2011, Josh has suspended again for testing positive for marijuana in a drug test. He was inactive for the whole year and in 2012, he signed a four-year contract with Cleveland Browns. This deal made him $5.3 million richer. The 2012 season was incredible for him as he recorded 50 catches, 805 yards, and 5 touchdowns making him the top wide receiver. In the same season, he scored against the New York Giants and finished with two catches for 82 yards and two touchdowns. He scored again against the Oakland Raiders with six catches for 116 yards and one touchdown. The season ended with the receiver scoring against Kansas City Chiefs with eight catches.
In 2013, Gordon was again suspended for substance abuse. He was reinstated after two games and he recorded 261 receiving yards, breaking the NFL records and becoming the first wide receiver that had back to back games with at least 200 receiving yards which earned him the title of Player of the Year for the season, he was also named first-team All-Pro.
2014 was a really challenging year for Gordon who was suspended and ended up playing just five games. He ended the 2014 season with 24 passes, 303 yards, and zero touchdowns. His struggles continued for the next two years for Josh Gordon as he was suspended for the whole 2015 season and was continually suspended and reinstated in 2016 for substance abuse. Gordon decided to check himself into a rehabilitation center saying it was the best decision for his overall well-being.
Here Are 5 Facts About The NFL Player
1. Josh Gordon has a daughter named Emma with former girlfriend Christina Lockhart who lives in Maple Heights. Josh initially refused to accept his responsibility as a father until Christina filed a lawsuit against the Cleveland Browns wide receiver. It took her a whole year before Josh accepted to be responsible for his baby. He was arrested and detained before he complied with court orders. A DNA test was conducted and Josh could no longer deny being the father of Christina’s baby. He agreed to be financially and physically responsible for her.
2. He began taking drugs as a little boy without knowing this little habit of his would affect him and his future career.
3. Josh is a typical example that talent is not enough for one to be successful in life and that a lot has to be put in place for one to achieve enviable heights in life. He had been an underachiever despite his enormous talents. He has become aware that his drug addiction is a setback and so he’s doing all he can to win this battle as he does in the field.
4. His height is the toast of any footballer. Josh has an enviable height of 6 feet 3 inches, with a well-built structure that can tell anyone that he is hardcore. His birth sign is Aries, he has two brothers whose names are not known and are of Haitian ancestry.
5. There are varying reports on what the actual estimation of his net worth is. While TheRichest.com values it at $4 million, another site, CelebrityNetworth.com puts it at $1 million. So it is not sure what the actual figure is.